Perth & Margaret River Gourmet Escape Indulgence – 7 Days
7 days: Indulge in a degustation menu of world-class food, wine and incredible biodiversity.
Enjoy a week-long degustation menu, experiencing the very best of Australia’s sunniest capital city and the world-renowned Margaret River wine region. Think stunning white-sand beaches, biodiverse coast and forest landscapes, dazzling wildflowers, Indian Ocean sunsets, rich maritime history and, of course, world-class wine and food inspired by some of the most revered celebrity chefs.
Region: Perth and surrounds and Margaret River and the South West
Duration: 7 days
Download the full Itinerary PDF here
Kings Park / Cottesloe Beach / Fremantle / Rottnest Island / South West Wine Region / Karri forests and caves / Margaret River surf and beaches / Margaret River Gourmet Escape
- Morning: Catch an early morning flight from the east coast to Perth.
- The average flight time is four hours and an early morning flight is your best option to take advantage of daylight savings. This means you can depart at 8.30am, arrive in Perth at 9.30am.From the airport, it’s a 20 to 30-minute car, taxi or bus ride to the capital’s main centre. Drop your bags at your accommodation and head up to Kings Park – one of the largest inner-city parks in the world, with some of the best views in Perth.
- Afternoon: Just a 20-minute drive west from Kings Park, you’ll find a table for lunch overlooking iconic Cottesloe Beach and the Indian Ocean.
- Another 15 minutes’ drive south brings you to Fremantle and the world’s best preserved 19th century port streetscape – home of artisanal food, handcrafted beers, great coffee and quirky boutiques.
- Evening: Enjoy world-class degustation, local delicacies and views to die for at one of Perth’s award-winning restaurants, followed by drinks in the city’s buzzing small bars.
- Hop on a morning ferry from Fremantle or Perth’s Barrack Street Jetty for a short cruise to Perth’s island playground – Rottnest Island.Only 11km long and 4.5km wide, it’s easy to explore the beautiful beaches and unique flora and fauna of this Class A reserve in a day.
- On arrival, you can hire a bike, catch the Bayseeker Bus, or join a guided tour of the natural landscapes and fascinating historic landmarks.
- Afternoon: Swim, snorkel, picnic and relax on some of the island’s63 white-sand beaches and 20 clear bays. Then return to Thomson Bay Settlement for an afternoon coffee before catching the ferry back to Perth.
- Morning: For your first taste of the Margaret River region, day two serves up some stunning Indian Ocean panoramas, local arts, crafts and fine gourmet treats.
- Take the two-and-a-half hour drive to Busselton and enjoy coffee overlooking beautiful Geographe Bay and the longest timber jetty in the southern hemisphere – Busselton Jetty.
- Afternoon: As the whole region celebrates the Gourmet Escape, you can choose to base yourself in Busselton, Dunsborough, Yallingup or Margaret River..
- From your accommodation, head out to the wineries for lunch in the vineyards, then browse the boutiques in Margaret River or Dunsborough.
- Evening: Hit the white sands of Castle Bay Beach where you’ll find the Audi Gourmet Beach BBQ.Enjoy an evening beside the clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean indulging in culinary creations inspired by a world-class guest chef.
- Morning: Head to Prevelly for brekkie, where you can watch the surfers test their skills on some of the best breaks in the world.
- Afternoon: Your main course is an extraordinary afternoon in the Gourmet Village, filled with the best produce from Western Australia and the stars of the culinary world. With Leeuwin Estate Winery providing the most breathtaking backdrop, you can indulge your mind and senses in cooking demonstrations, wine tastings, masterclasses and chef Q&As. A bus service is available, so you can relax and enjoy the premium wines and hand-crafted beers.
- Evening: Take your pick from a huge array of Gourmet Escape satellite and fringe evening events, including special themed winery dinners, live music and meet-the-winemaker nights. Be sure to pre-book your tickets online.
- Morning: Take a two-hour drive east from Margaret River to Pemberton and Manjimup, and you’ll find yourself in another world of cool-climate wines, gourmet delights, tall-tree forests and wildflowers.
- Afternoon: Enjoy another long lunch at a local winery, and be sure to taste fresh marron – the local delicacy. Step onto the legendary long-distance Bibbulmun Track for an afternoon walk, or challenge yourself to make the climb to the top of the Gloucester Tree (61 metres) or Diamond Tree (51 metres). Return to the Margaret River region for dinner.
- Morning: Join a whale watching tour from Dunsborough or Busselton and witness the epic annual migration of humpback whales on their journey home from the Kimberley to the Southern Ocean.
- Or you can opt to start the day with some yoga at the beach, or try your hand at surfing before enjoying breakfast with an ocean view.
- Afternoon: Pack a picnic and take a walk through some of the most diverse and striking coastal landscapes on Earth on the legendary Cape to Cape Track.You can access the track from Cape Naturaliste, just a 12-minute drive from Castle Bay Beach.
- Evening: Unwind with a massage at one of the many local spas, or catch an Indian Ocean sunset at Canal Rocks, Prevelly Beach or Gracetown before dinner.
- Morning: There’s plenty of time on your last day to enjoy some of the South West’s most awe-inspiring coastal landscapes and a few more fine regional flavours. Return to the coast for brekkie at beautiful Bunker Bay, and take a morning stroll on the beach.
- Afternoon: Lunch at a local winery, or head for the farmers market to pick up some bites and local gourmet treats for the road. Allow at least three hours for the journey back to Perth – more if you plan a rest break in the vibrant seaside cities of Bunbury or Mandurah before catching your flight home.
Find out more about Perth and the South West. Visit the Experience Perth and Australia’s South West websites for more itineraries and further information on things to see and do.
Talk to the experts
Make the local visitor centres your first port of call for maps and guides to explore Perth and the South West.
Western Australian Visitor Centre
Fremantle Visitor Centre
Busselton Visitor Centre
Dunsborough Visitor Centre
Margaret River Visitor Centre
Rottnest Island Visitor Centre
Pemberton Visitor Centre
Manjimup Visitor Centre